Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stuff That We Love to Eat

I do plan on blogging about how awesome the bread and wine are here in Paris, but I need to do a LOT more research.  I'm thinking I'll be able to make a White House sized wreath with all the corks it will take just to find a favorite rosé.  Get my drift?  But we're discovering other things in the grocery stores and markets that are becoming fast favorites.  Here are some of them, with more to follow as we find them.
Gazpacho in a box.  Might be bad, right?  Wrong!  This stuff is great, and even the kids will eat it.  A little bit of olive oil, some fleur de sel and freshly cracked black pepper.  It is the #1 in Spain...and those Spanish boxed gazpacho drinkers are no dummies.
The Husband bought this because it had angels on it and he figures any cheese endorsed by angels should be good.  He was right.  Very mild and creamy, but make sure to serve it at room temp or otherwise it's pretty bland.
Smooth, creamy with just a hint of herbs and garlic.  Great on a baguette with a slice of Prosciutto or Jamon Serrano.
This alone is going to be the main reason my cholesterol is likely off the charts.  We were introduced to this butter on our visit in January, and just the memory of its flavor sustained me through the months of stress before the move.  You want it slightly cold, but still spreadable so you get the texture differences between the fat of the butter and the crunch of the sea salt.  Heaven!  If the angels weren't busy with the cheese they'd be on this packaging.
I eat this soup just about every day for lunch.  It's from the upscale frozen food chain store Picard.  I've made it a habit just to purchase everything that has creme fraiche listed as an ingredient.  I have yet to be disappointed.  
These little fruit squeezers are a savior when out exploring Paris with the kids.  They make all sorts of flavors, and I even found a Bio (organic) option yesterday.  We don't have to send the kids with lunch this year, but this would be the perfect lunch box addition to get in an extra serving of fruit.

No comments: